What girl doesn't weigh herself after the holiday season and not think about New Years resolutions :)?
I'm not really a resolutions kind of person. I like the idea of them but I'm really not good with the follow through. It reminds me of an overextended lent period. I always, always give up something really hard for me to give up during lent. Last year I gave up chocolate. It was really hard--harder than the year I gave up sodas. The thought of having to give something up for an indefinite period of time makes me think that I will give in too easily. So, I'm going to resolve to do things that are really good for my health. I want to be as healthy as possible for my family, so hopefully I'll be able to succeed. I figure if I write them down and publish them for the world to see then I will feel more accountable to uphold them. Here they are:
1. Eat less sugar. I am completely, totally addicted to sugar. It is my vice. When mommy is stressed out she doesn't grab a glass of wine--she grabs a handful of chocolate chips from the freezer. My father-in-law had a health scare this past year and he asked what he should do to prevent future problems. His oncologist said two things: "1. Eat less meat and more fruits and veggies. 2. Sugar is bad for you."
I'm not saying that I'm going to completely cut sugar out of my life. I absolutely adore baking sweets and goodies for the family. But, I can cut out the eating of junk that my body doesn't need (like the entire bag of Rolos I wolfed down over the holidays).
2. Quit sodas. They are so bad! Why do I drink them? I've given them up for lent several times and I always get to the point where I don't miss them anymore. I have tried a "one a week" method and it just doesn't work. I end up wanting another one the next day. I work out religiously and try to eat well (besides the sugar of course :)). Why do I drink such a yucky thing for me? I'm going to need your help friends, if you see me with a soda make me throw it away. Iced tea, please.
3. Read the books I've always wanted to read. I've mentioned it before I think, I am a voracious reader. I read a book or two every week. Most of the stuff I read is current. I want to read all the things I missed when I was growing up--like A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L'Engle. I've also never read The Hobbit. I'm going to spend some time this year reading things that I missed growing up--I guess I was too busy reading The Babysitter's Club series and Nancy Drew!
4. I am very dedicated to my work-outs. I try to get in 4-5 a week. I belonged to a gym until right before I had the baby and I went religiously. I even taught a few classes here and there and really enjoyed it. When I had her I decided to be my own personal trainer. I do work-out videos and we have an elliptical machine. I really like to exercise and I'm very grippy when I don't get to. However, if I don't get it done in the morning I'm not going to do it. My life is so crazy busy sometimes, the morning work-out is just not an option. I'm going to resolve to work-out on the days I need to even if it is not at a time that I prefer. I also might try to get back to the gym this year--working out at home has been very good for the baby and I but we might venture into the world of germs and the gym nursery after flu season is over :)!
Wish me luck! May 2012 be a blessed year for us all!
I may need to adopt all of your resolutions! :)
ReplyDelete