Hey there, its me coming at you from 2011 at the age of 33. Its hard to believe I've more than doubled my age since 16. It feels like yesterday that these photos below were taken. I'd like to tell you that I'm wise and have life all figured out but I don't. I'm still learning every single day. I do have a few things I would like to tell you though.
First of all, forget him. He doesn't matter. I know your heart is broken into a thousand tiny pieces but it will heal. Waiting for you just around the corner is "The One." That's right. "The One." You really will find the love of your life right in the halls of high school. When you see him that day at the track meet you'll know it. He's been around before. He's going to make all your dreams come true. I promise you happiness like you never thought was possible. That boy you are all broken-hearted over, forget now.
While you are at it, forget the mean girls. You know who I'm talking about. You know who your real friends are. They are the girls that you can tell anything to. They are the girls that would cross hot coals for you. To this day I've never really figured the mean girls out. I'll tell you this, in 2011 Heather will still be your best friend. Cheryl will be a phone call away. Tab lives in the same town as you, you won't see each other often but she's always there. You are still friends with Carman too. The longevity of these friendships will amaze you. Keep your heart open. New wonderful friends await you. I'm so excited about a few that you will meet in years to come.
Josh's death is still going to make you sad 17 years later. In 2002 he's going to have a nephew named after him. His name will live on. You are going to love this little boy like he's your own. I'm not going to tell you who his momma will be but I will tell you this--I mentioned her name in the paragraph above. You are going to find that God is big and works in amazing ways.
And lastly, quit with the worry. This is something you will struggle with for the rest of your life. If you try to deal with it now then maybe we will have it easier later. Also, your body is not something to fret over. I don't care that you think you have tree trunks for thighs and that your backside gives you nightmares. They make you who you are. Seriously, look at yourself! You are beautiful! This body of yours is going to do amazing things. Its going to bring life into this world. I'm not going to tell you how many lives or whether they (there I went and said "they" now you are onto me!) will be boys or girls. I want you to be surprised. Because the day(s) that you find out those things will be some of the happiest days of your life. I would never want to spoil the fun and take those moments away from you. You are going to melt. "They" are more than you could ever imagine and truly God's greatest gifts.
Most everything is going to work out. Trust in God and let him lead the way. Listen to your instincts. Go to church in college. Enjoy your wedding day, it goes by so fast. Don't sweat the little stuff. Hold your babies even when you know you need to be doing other things. And remember that you are loved.
With love,
33 year old Me


That hurt my heart a little! I love your 33 year old self!!!
ReplyDeleteI wrote a letter to my 16 year old self last night, but don't know if I have the courage to post it....It was really hard!
ReplyDelete