Since I was a wee girl of eight I've had the curse of the four eyes. You know, I've had to wear glasses!
When My Boy was five and was saddled with the same curse, I cried. I hold my breath in anticipation at every one of Lollipop's well checks. So far she has passed the eye exams with flying colors. I'm praying that stays the case. The Hubs has astronaut vision (whatever that means, he has perfect vision--ok!). I soooo hope the girls take after him.
Way back in the day as a very irresponsible twelve year old I was given a pair of contact lenses. You didn't throw them away back then. You had to clean them and use solution and do weekly pills to keep them all spiffy and new. I pretty much sucked at taking care of them. There was a lot of yelling in my house between the ages of 12-15 about my contacts. Love you mom, I get it now. I wised up a bit in high school and started taking care of them better. But there was this big problem. For most sports you can wear your contacts. But you see, I was on the swim team in high school. I had very precious non-disposable contacts. What's a girl to do? You only run into the wall so many times before you have to do something. What did I do? I got the dorkiest pair of PRESCRIPTION GOGGLES in the world. You know what's funny? Someone stole them out of my locker!!!!! What in the heck did they do with them? My parents refused to buy another pair and I was back at square one--running into walls. Needless to say, I got a cheerleading scholarship to college--not a swimming scholarship :).
In college they invented these wonderful contacts that you threw away after two weeks. A couple of years later they invented contacts that you threw away at the end of everyday. My life improved and I was happy.
But there are still things that have always bothered me. For instance, I can't see the alarm clock when I wake up in the middle of the night, I can't swim without worrying about the kids splashing me and dislodging a contact, and goodness gracious I can't go to the spa and get a proper massage (the oils mess up my contacts and my glasses). Ok, so the last reason is a little bit less of an actual problem, but still. The problem is, I'm a huge chicken about surgery. Especially surgery to my eyes. I kind of need them, ya know?
My friend Carrie got epi-Lasik in September and said it was life changing. I thought and thought. I went to my eye doctor. I got info. I thought some more. Three months later I decided I was brave enough. On Saturday, I DID IT, I HAD EPI-LASIK!!!!!!!!
I had to wear glasses exclusively for two weeks. It was not fun. Here is my last day as a four eyed woman:
Don't be jealous! I know I look pretty awesome!
My recovery has been harder than I thought it would be, but probably only because I have unrealistic expectations for myself. Carrie bounced back in just a few days but I'm taking a little longer. I'm on day five and I have functional sight but my vision is blurry and I still can't drive. I went in this morning and had my contact bandages removed and still have some issues with my left cornea. They tell me I should be back to normal in a few days. This week has been so hard for the control freak in me. I can't drive, I can't work out, I can't cart my kids around to do their "stuff." I have had to depend on so many people around me. Thanks everybody. I really appreciate it! Hopefully by this time next week I'll be saying "It's been life changing!"
I didn't know you were on the swim team!! I was too! I swam competitively for 12 years...who knows, maybe we were at some of the same meets?!
ReplyDeleteI too have 4 eyes (Rhys is doomed too!) and I am SO jealous that you were able to get epi-lasik!! My prescription has not stabilized long enough for it to be an option yet. :( How bad was your vision? My contacts are -8.50 in both eyes; I had a few eye docs tell me my lens may be too thin to have lasik b/c of my prescription strength, but maybe...
I had to have epi-lasik because one of my cornea's was to "uneven." I know several people who have had PRK because of thinness. You might check into that....I'm also not sure about the prescription cut off. Mine was -5.5 in the right eye and -4.75 in the left and they said more than once that I was on the "upper end."
DeleteWait until you are done having babies! My doctor told me a couple of years ago I was a good candidate but pregnancy changes everything! 10 days later I completely glad I did it!
Oh, that's good advice! I will wait until I am done having kiddos, I totally didn't think about that!
DeleteYour Rx was on the upper end?? Oh, dear. I may be screwed! HA! Robert thinks its funny when I knock my glasses on the ground and I am completely, 100% helpless!